Bryn Afon Guest House

“the perfect base for your Snowdonia adventure”
Betws-y-Coed Riverside B&B in Betws-y-Coed Snowdonia - Highly Recommended Bryn Afon Guest House

tel: +44 (0)1690 710403

Follow us on Twitter Join us on Facebook

Visit Wales 4star Bed and Breakfast Green Tourism Wales Accredited B&B Food and Travel Magazine - 2015 Reader Awards Award Winning Betws-y-Coed Accommodation

History

 

Bryn Afon (Hill River)

  • Bryn Afon built 1800s from local stone with a slate roof and part of the Gwydyr estate, owned by the Earl of Ancaster.
  • 1868 Robert Williams leased Bryn Afon from the estate for 45 years.
  • 1895 Gwydyr Estate sold and Bryn Afon sold to the Rev. George Edward Ashley.
  • Ashley died in 1918, his grandson Lionel Owen Randolph Ashley sold the house to Margaret Evans.
  • 1923, Annie Harrison and Elizabeth Helen Harrison bought Bryn Afon and records show that Bryn Afon was a boarding house.
  • More recently the former Plaid Cymru MP, Elfyn Llwyd, lived in the house as a private dwelling.
  • Pentre Felin or Mill Street is where Bryn Afon is situated, named after Albert Mill where ground oats were made into bread. 
  • The Pont-y-Pair (bridge of the cauldron), which Bryn Afon faces, is the oldest river crossing in Betws-y-Coed, built by Howell who was a North Wales mason living in Bala, in around 1470

 

back to top

Betws-Y-Coed (Prayer House in the Wood)

  • 19th Century Betws-y-Coed accessible when the old packhorse track (now the B5106) improved by Capel Curig Turnpike Trust. 1808 first Irish Mail coach proceeded through the village.  
  • 1815, battle of Waterloo, Thomas Telford built the bridge of the same name over the river Conwy and it was then that the road (A5) through the village, run by the Turnpike Trusts i.e. a toll road, became the main thoroughfare from London to Holyhead.  Betws-y-Coed became a major resting point for stage coaches.
  • 1868, the railway line from Llandudno Junction extended and Betws-y-Coed train station built, and extended further in 1879 to Blaenau Ffestiniog. 
  • As the village became more accessible, then the number of visitors grew and more hotels and guest houses built, so Betws-y-Coed became a tourist alpine destination.  The village was popular with Victorian artists, with the wonderful scenery being portrayed by painters and written about by poets and writers. 
  • 1951 Snowdonia area achieved its National Park status and Betws-y-Coed falls within the boundaries of the National Park. 

back to top

Bryn Afon Riverside B&B - Betws-y-Coed B&B in Snowdonia - North Wales B&B